By Justin Foote, 08 Jul 2012, 16:00:00
A renovated kitchen by John DeForest Architects
The secret to any successful renovation is to build in added functionality. For the owners of this Mid-century Modern house, the original kitchen was not conducive to their lifestyle.
Architect John DeForest AIA and team worked with the structure to better realize its potential for contemporary living.
"Although the house had great bones, the kitchen, dining and living areas were poorly defined, with dated and worn finishes. The kitchen wrapped around an awkward room divider and turned its back on the rest of the family spaces."
"The owners needed a kitchen that would fulfill a range of functions, from entertaining to homework and art projects. From a practical standpoint, they wanted durable finishes and fixtures requiring minimal maintenance."
Non-loadbearing walls were removed and the overall space modified to include a mudroom plus pantry space and a sewing or homework area, says DeForest.
"The kitchen is now the hub of daily life, designed around the large island, which has plenty of storage and counter space, places to prep, clean up, do homework or have a coffee."
|Architect, interior and kitchen designer||John DeForest AIA, Jessyca Poole and Eric Nebel, DeForest Architects (Seattle, WA)|
|Cabinetry||Abstrakt high gloss white and Nexus brown/black|
|Hardware||Ikea (cabinets); Inox (doors)|
|Countertop surfaces||Chroma Quartz|
|Flooring||Deco-Pour concrete topping|
|Doors and windows||Milgard aluminum|
|Dining furniture||Custom reclaimed urban hardwood dining table from Meyer Wells|
|Lighting||Pele from Tech Lighting|
|Oven||BlueStar RCS series|
- Owner Profile:Kitchen – USA
- Photographer:Jamie Cobeldick
Other Kitchen Stories
- A variety of wood species feature in this new home and kitchen
- Sculptural family kitchen cabinetry boasts geometric forms
- Minimalist family kitchen with black wall cabinetry and wood-framed island
- Kitchen renovation combines understated white island with dark wood cabinetry kitchen
- Light-filled kitchen remodel with glass-faced upper cabinets
- Formal cabinet door style toned down by rustic design elements
- Cube shaped kitchen combines two-tone Poggenpohl cabinetry with stainless steel benchtops
- Light, white kitchen has adjacent underground wine cellar
- Transitional kitchen with two islands and reflective surfaces
- Contemporary renovated kitchen now connects living areas and optimises light and space
Latest Articles See more
- Contemporary seaside home with cantilevered living spaces, and outdoor kitchen
- Custom exterior fixings by HomePlus Southland feature on this project
- Spacious modern alpine home gets budget v lifestyle balance right
- A light well features in this project by Royston Wilson Design
- Independent villas are a lifestyle choice at this retirement village