Bright idea

as featured in
Reducing your powerbill can be as easy as choosing a different light bulb
View of a large dining area. The room dining room, furniture, interior design, lobby, table, black, gray
View of a large dining area. The room features tables, chairs and Dulux Star lamps.

Anything that reduces your electricity bill without compromising your lifestyle must be a good thing. So, what if all you had to do to achieve this was to change yourlight bulbs?

While delivering the same amount of light as a traditional incandescent light bulb, the Dulux Star lamp from Osram uses significantly less energy, says Peter Leong, national product manager (Osram) for Impel New Zealand.

"The 8W, 11W and 14W lamps are equivalent to the traditional 40W, 60W and 75W light bulbs, respectively. So, by replacing your regular bulbs with Dulux Star bulbs, you have the potential to save around 75% to 80% on your lighting bill," says Leong.

The Dulux Star lamp generates light in the same way as a traditional fluorescent tube. However, by bending the glass tube back on itself, the manufacturers have succeeded in making these bulbs similar in size to a normal light bulb.


View of the 14W Osram Dulux Star lamp white
View of the 14W Osram Dulux Star lamp

"A standard lightbulb uses a heated filament to produce light. However, only 5% of the energy consumed is converted to light. The other 95% is dissipated as heat," says Leong.

"Compact fluorescent lights use integrated electronic circuitry to control the light output. In doing so they only use about 20% of the electricity required by an ordinary light bulb," he explains.

Dulux Star bulbs are similar in size to traditional light bulbs, and are available in screw or bayonet fittings. Consequently, they will fit most lampshades or light fittings in your home.

Energy efficient lamps are well suited to areas that require indirect, background lighting, such as the living room and bedroom.

View of a large dining area. The room dining room, furniture, interior design, lobby, table, black, gray
View of a large dining area. The room features tables, chairs and Dulux Star lamps.

As an additional cost saving incentive, the life span of the Dulux Star is about six times that of its traditional counterpart.

For more information on the Dulux Star, visit www.osram.com or phone Impel, 0800 432 333.

May 14, 2004
We know the specialists