6 tips to creating authentic, personal interiors
How to create authentic interiors that are well considered and individual to your tastes – styling ideas from interior designer Stacey Gillies
Expert advice by Stacey Gillies, of Stacey Gillies Interiors
From the interior designer
Our current lifestyles see the living spaces in our homes become more than just a place to relax and entertain; they're a reflection of our values, personality, and connection to the natural world.
With that in mind, I highlight my six tips for styling your living spaces.
These ideas will help you create authentic interiors that are unique to your tastes and are well considered.
These tips can be applied across any room in your home.
1. Placement of Furniture
- Move sofas and chairs away from walls - if you are able.
- Bring pieces together in an arrangement to create a convivial and intimate space or ‘zone’ – use a rug to help create the ‘zone’ to anchor furniture.
- Create focal points such as a statement sofa or a large table lamp to draw attention and create visual interest.
- Leave enough space between furniture pieces to ensure a sense of openness, prevent overcrowding and allow for flow of foot traffic.
- Ensure furniture is of varying heights so your eye can travel up and down, as opposed to all pieces at the same level.