By Trends Publishing, 07 Sep 2007, 16:00:00
The brief for this remodeling project was to create a kosher kitchen, with a classic English look and feel
Planning any kitchen remodeling project demands careful balancing of function and design. When the brief involves creating a kosher kitchen for a family of two adults and seven children, the challenge can only increase.
To reconfigure this room as a kosher kitchen, certified kitchen designer David McNulty of McNulty Design Group created three zones for preparing meat, dairy and other food, known as pareve, and installed two dishwashers and sinks. With 10 feet of potential storage space taken up by the dishwashers and sinks, extra upper cabinetry was added, as well as space-saving devices such as roll-out trays.
"With so many items, I needed to position the cabinetry and appliances carefully, so that doors could be opened freely and people could move around easily without colliding into each other," he says.
For display space, McNulty installed glass shelves in front of the original bay windows, and created a narrow recess within the subway backsplash tiles above the main cooktop.
Visually, the family was looking for the old-world ambiance of a traditional English kitchen. To achieve this, McNulty specified painted cabinetry with inset panels and English latches and pulls.
The color palette draws on the black-and-white theme used elsewhere in the home, and gives the illusion of a larger space. The dark-stained oak floor and countertops provide a visual contrast to the white-painted cabinetry.
"All-white cabinetry could have been bland, so I introduced clear glass panels into some of the upper cabinets and chose a dark honed granite for the countertops."
Energy-efficient lighting was installed under the upper cabinets, to cast a warm glow over the room's white tones. Recessed lighting was positioned away from the ceiling fan, to avoid strobing effects.
McNulty Design Group is a specialist kitchen and bathroom design company.
For details, contact McNulty Design Group, 708 Vernon Avenue, Glencoe, IL 60022, phone (847) 835 0868, fax (847) 835 0867. Email: email@example.com.
- Owner Profile:Renovation – USA
Other Renovation Stories
- Traditional home renovation adds new floor level, sight lines and indoor-outdoor connections
- Renovation and addition to a suburban home add contemporary living and views
- Modern renovation with additional features new great room, designer furniture pieces
- Traditional villa renovation with addition at rear, pergola over outdoor living area
- Historic home remodel by TMS Architects
- White kitchen with sleek, polished, high-arch Kraus Nola single-lever faucet
- Mid-century Modern house makeover with white exterior opens to pool terrace
- Remodeled apartment kitchens showing ways to optimize functionality and visual impact in a restricted space
- Sharp, contemporary kitchen with stainless steel
- Small beginnings
Latest Articles See more
- Contemporary new home replaces home demolished following Christchurch earthquake
- Home designed with two pavilions makes the most of lake and mountain views
- Industrial look bathroom combines rugged surfaces with minimalist aesthetic
- Light-filled kitchen remodel with glass-faced upper cabinets
- Smeg's new high-end dishwasher now has the revolutionary Planetarium spray arm
- Formal cabinet door style toned down by rustic design elements